Crunchy lettuce leaves are stuffed with pan-fried tempeh cubes in a savory sesame ginger sauce to make these healthy Asian-inspired vegan lettuce wraps. The perfect light meal on a warm summer day!
3 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
2 tbsp lemon juice
½ tsp sesame oil
1 ½ tbsp of maple syrup or agave
1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
2 garlic cloves minced1
1 (8 ounce) package of tempeh, cut into ½ inch cubes
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 medium carrots, cut into matchsticks
3 large lettuce leaves, such as bibb or romaine
2 scallions, chopped
1 tbsp sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, stir together the soy sauce, lemon juice, sesame oil, maple syrup, ginger and garlic. Add the cubed tempeh and toss to coat.
- Let the tempeh marinade for a half hour or so.
- Coat the bottom of a medium skillet with oil and place it over medium heat. Add the tempeh along with any excess marinade. Cook for about 10 minutes, flipping once or twice until the liquid has cooked off and the tempeh is browned on multiple sides.
- Add the carrots, raise the heat to high, and stir-fry for about a minute, until the carrots are tender and crisp.
- Divide the mixture onto lettuce leaves and top with scallions and sesame seeds. Serve!